Members Log inClick here to join as a member
What We Do
The number of older people in Australia is increasing rapidly due to ageing of the existing population, lower birth rates and immigration. Over the past 20 years, the percentage of the population aged 65 and over increased from less than 12 per cent to 15 per cent. Population projections by the Australian Bureau of Statistics are that by 2056, around one in four Australians will be 65 years or older.
This presents the need for more retirement villages. Operators continue to develop new villages as well as expand existing villages. In 2008, there were 1,756 villages accommodating up to 150,000 residents. In 2014, this had grown to approximately 2,160 villages housing more than 184,000 older Australians, and further villages will be needed to be developed over the coming decades to meet the expected demand.
The Retirement Living Council champions the growth and sustainability of the retirement village industry through implementing its Strategic Plan and providing services to the industry and the membership via:
- Advocacy – representation to protect and sustain the industry
- Research – predicting trends, challenges and opportunities
- Professional Development & Events – supporting business growth and industry understanding
- Accreditation – ensuring quality processes and best practices operations
- Marketing – growing industry awareness and building a positive profile